I tried very hard to get an update out
before the end of the year, but was unsuccessful, so now you get to
hear all about the holidays too.
Looking back on the months since my last
posting on 10/25. At the beginning of that posting we were still
saddened by the loss of Ed Carter. I went down to Orange County for his memorial on 10/30. We're doing our best to support mom.
around this time my Palm phone got damaged by my keys in my pocket so I
was forced to get a new phone. Although I'd been reading about
nightmarish adventures through getting Palm data onto other
devices, I bit the bullet and got an iPhone. To make a very long story
short, I've just recently, within the last week or two, gotten all of
the contacts and calendars and notes to work correctly.
We had a fun Halloween.
Katelyn was Mr. Spock and Haley
was a bat-like spider web creature. As usual we went trick-or-treating
in Kathie's neighborhood.
November had a number of interesting and fun events:
started out on an interesting note with the end of my contract with
Genentech. I knew it was coming so I wasn't surprised. I hadn't really
looked for work, though, because I wanted December off. I got my wish!
I got caught up o a lot of projects, got to spend some fabulous time
with the kids, and got to RELAX. Now I'm off and running on the job
- Susan Takalo's birthday with a dinner at El
Torito on 11/3.
- Haley attended Shabbat Madness, an overnight at
the Temple with the 5th and 6t graders, on 11/5-11/6.
- Marilyn and Val attended the Triton Anniversary
Party on 11/5.
- Marilyn judged the Veteran's Day Parade on 11/7.
- Jennifer & Selena visited on 11/13.
kids got new beds and other furniture on 11/13. We've been working hard
on organizing and rearranging their rooms, and they're looking good!
- Katelyn did rock climbing with the Temple youth group on 11/14.
had Haley's parent-teacher conference on 11/15. She is excelling in
many subjects, but could definitely do better in others. She's so
bright, but needs to be more patient and pay closer attention to
following directions and completing assignments. Reminds me of someone
else at age 10... :-)
Other things we did in December:
To end the year, Val got back home and had a quiet evening, and Marilyn went to Las Vegas with Adrien. Marilyn didn't win, but didn't lose as much as she could
have, and Adrien won! In addition to that, they attended a party and a
comedy show, ate great food, and got massages at the luzury spa. And
because Adrien is a Diamond Club member most of it was comp'd, so that
- I attended the first high school orienation meeting on 12/1. Yikes, Katelyn will be in high school next year!
- Haley helped lead many prayers during the 5th Grade Shabbat Service on 12/3.
- Katelyn had a fun 14th birthday party at Sea Bowl on 12/4.
- We had two extended weather-related blackouts on 12/4 and 12/7.
- Val and Marilyn attended a Leonard Cohen concert at the Paramount Theater in Oakland on 12/6.
- Marilyn's friend Kat joined us for dinner on 12/7.
tried out for the Burlingame Aquatic Club on 12/10. They said that
while she definitely loved the water and had some good basics, she
needed more skills. So she's now signed up for swimming lessons
starting 1/10, and can try out again later on this year.
- Jann came over for a visit on 12/11, and played some new games with us: Zombie Dice and Fluxx.
- Katelyn played the alto sax with the Concert Band and Jazz Band at the Taylor Winter Concert on 12/14.
- Haley played percussion in the Millbrae Elementary Winter Concert on 12/16.
- Haley sang with her class at the Spring Valley Winter Program on 12/17.
- Marilyn and Katelyn visited the salon on 12/17 for Katelyn's birthday present from Marilyn, a manicure and pedicure.
- Marilyn and Val visited the Pometta family for their yearly Holiday Open House on 12/18.
visited Erika and Charles in Giove, Italy. Unfortunately she got caught
up in the terrible snow in England and got stuck there for a few extra
days, but managed to make it to the folks' house just before midnight
on Chritmas Eve. And if Val is going to be stuck somewhere, London is
the best place since she got the chance to see friends while there.
- We all had a nice Christmas, with tree decorating early in the month, Christmas morning at Kathie's, and Marilyn seeing Kung Pao Kosher Comedy with Stacy that evening.
- Marilyn went to Ruth and Tyler's for a Boxing Day dinner on 12/26.
took the kids down to Adrien's for a couple of days on 12/27, and had a
great visit with Jann and Trev, teaching them how to play Mexican Train.
- Marilyn had dinner out with Shannan in the stormy weather on 12/28.
Val and Marilyn continued many activities with the Exiles, including monthly programs, orientations, and business meetings.
Off to 2011!!